July 12, 2013

BIRDS AT GOA VELHA



GOA DIARIES: BIRDING AT BHABI'S PLACE - PART 1


I got up early in the morning on the second day and was surprised to see that Bhabi's parents were already awake. The plan for the second day was to meet my friends from Mushtifund school. After having morning tea, I headed off to the balcony on the top floor to click some birds. Though I did sight the Black-rumped Flameback (Dinopium benghalense) several times, I just couldn't get the right shot. Nonetheless, watching a group of three hoping on a tall coconut tree in a spiral manner from the top to the bottom was funny and at the same time, equally frustrating as I just couldn't get a good image. Like the woodpeckers, the Red Whiskered Bulbuls (Pycnonotus jocosus) are common here and I found this one, hunting for insects on a small Ashoka tree. I clicked a Black Kite (Milvus migrans) as it descended from a nearby tower on to a palm tree. And finally, I spotted a Jungle Owlet (Glaucidium radiatum) perched on a leafless tree at the very edge of the bhatt. It flew away as I came closer but I tracked it at a distance. Over the next few days, I was really lucky to spot this bird several times. Even Bhabi's dad was elated at seeing the pictures of this glorious bird of prey that seems to regularly visit his compound.

Black-rumped Flameback

Red Whiskered Bulbul

Black Kite


Jungle Owlet



For more on the Goa trip:
(1) An Evening in Vagator - Part 2 (Link)
(2) Life is a Beach (Link)
(3) More Birds at Goa Velha (Link)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments/suggestions/views here